Friday, February 26, 2010

Difficulties

So for being such a social creature, I find blogging very difficult, but I shall attempt this again.

This semester in OOP has been... different. We've spent the majority of our time working on learning how to use SVN. Although this has been interesting to see a new program, and I love being able to spy on my team mates progress, I am having difficulties deciding exactly what our "tags" folder should hold. Even when I have my function complete, I'm tempted to wait and see how this will interact with the other group members functions before posting it in tags and committing myself to the exact structure of my function. Ah well, I suppose I need to learn to be more adventurous.

Now to the meat and potatoes: how exciting are macros?! You want to make a quick little program that sums up 2 integers but don't know what they are? BAM! #define sum (a+b) and then just call it in your little main program with like c = sum; and there you are! Just like that... BAM!

Also, I love this whole #ifdef sum #else #endif stuff too. I don't have to deal with other people's main, just #ifdef PERSON == Carolyn (having first defined PERSON to hold a member called Carolyn), and there you go, my space, M-I-N-E! I love it.

Oh yes, and last thing I learned: don't trust friends. Don't trust friends because they'll stab you in the back when you least expect it and spill all those juicy details of your code. Yes! I am talking about friends as a part of your Classes. Don't be so silly, real friends shouldn't stab you in the back, unless they're axe murderers, and then its really your fault for not watching your back.

Alright, so blogs don't seem so bad, and I should do it more often so they're not THIS long. Sorry about this... no I'm not, I'm lying.
Mwahaha! I'm off!
Until Next Time!

2 comments:

  1. Tags are interesting in SVN. You usually use them to "tag" a release. Let's say you and your group plan a whole bunch of fixes, and you decide that when you get those fixes done, you'll release your code to your users. You then give that set of bug fixes and new features a name, let's say 0.5. When you release your code, it will be what was in trunk at that moment. But you are going to change trunk. So you create a copy of trunk at this moment in time, and put it in tags, and then you have tags/0.5. In the future, you don't have to remember what date you did this release, or which revision it was. You can just go and get the code in tags/0.5 and you're right back where you were with that release.

    Keep blogging, it's great to see you OOP students diving in. This is the way to get good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your blog! Me! I win something I'm sure. I will now be reading your blog regularly so you better post stuff regularly. Finally, this post wasn't long at all, it was a good length, and size doesn't matter much anyway, quality vs quantity, right?

    ReplyDelete